Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Difference between Matrix and Table

Hello.
I'm fairly new to Reporting Services, so my question might seem really
simple to you guys. But what is the difference between a matrix and a table?
When should I use what? Are there any articles on the web that explain this?
The best I've found is in this article:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2004_09/magazine/columns/databasedesign/default_pf.aspx
[Quote]
The report type defines the structure, or data region, of the data returned
by your query. The Report Wizard lets you present this information as either
a table or a matrix, though you have more options outside the wizard. The
main difference between these two types of data regions is the number of
columns. A table has a fixed number of columns; a matrix has a variable
number determined by the query results.
[/quote]
- But I'd like to see a more practical explanation.
Any input appreciated!
Kaisa M. LindahlI use matrix when I have both row and column groupings. What I mean is if I
have row groupings as Dept, Group, User (drill down) and in the column I have
year, quarter, month drilldowns, u have to use a matrix. If you just have row
groupings I would suggest use the table, because a matrix is quite buggy when
it comes to exporting to excel.
Hope this helps
"Kaisa M. Lindahl" wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm fairly new to Reporting Services, so my question might seem really
> simple to you guys. But what is the difference between a matrix and a table?
> When should I use what? Are there any articles on the web that explain this?
> The best I've found is in this article:
> http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2004_09/magazine/columns/databasedesign/default_pf.aspx
> [Quote]
> The report type defines the structure, or data region, of the data returned
> by your query. The Report Wizard lets you present this information as either
> a table or a matrix, though you have more options outside the wizard. The
> main difference between these two types of data regions is the number of
> columns. A table has a fixed number of columns; a matrix has a variable
> number determined by the query results.
> [/quote]
> - But I'd like to see a more practical explanation.
> Any input appreciated!
> Kaisa M. Lindahl
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment