Thursday, March 29, 2012

Difference between the SQL Server Express Bundled with C#/VB VS the downloadable SQL Server Expr

What is the Difference between the SQL Server Express Bundled with C#/VB VS the downloadable SQL Server Express SP1 with advanced Services?

I installed C# with SQL Server Express, however I wanted to add the Full Text Searching and the SQL Server Management Studio Express, so I downloaded and installed the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services SP1. When I installed it over top of my current installation, it complained of version mismatching, and then C# failed to recognize that I had SQL 2005 Express installed at all.

What I'd like to know is, which version is more current (they have to be different, they had different version numbers, one was 9.xx.xxxx the other was 2005.9.xx.xxxx) The one bundled with C#, or the SP1 downloadable one.

Firstly, I want to be up todate as far as security patches, and Secondly, how do I add the full text searching and SSMSE to the one bundled with C# without breaking it.

THe one with Visual Studio does not have SP1 integrated, it also does not have the following features:

SQL Server Express with Advanced Services contains the following features:

SQL Server Management Studio Express, a graphical management tool based on SQL Server Management Studio that makes it easy to manage and administer SQL Server Express databases.

Reporting Services, an integrated report creation and design environment to create reports.

Full-Text Search, a powerful search engine for searching text-intensive data.

(From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/)

HTH, jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

Are there instructions for upgrading to the SP1 version?

I tried installing it directly overtop, and now it is broken.

When I try to add a database to a project, I get the following error:

Connection to SQL Server files require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the isntallation of the component.

|||Follow the RTFM rule. The readme file can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=58557. The instaruction there show step by step how to *migrate* the instance.

HTH, jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.desql

No comments:

Post a Comment