Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Difference between RPC:Completed and SP:Completed

Hi,
I know that SP refers to stored procedures, and RPC to remote procedure
calls, but I don't know what that means in real life.
I can see in my trace files that each stored procedure has related
RPC:Completed event. So why would anybody include SP:Completed event too?
Any ideas or advices?
Thanks
SP:Completed events would occur if you called a sp from within another sp or
if the sp was initially called in a batch. If you only traced RPC events
you would miss these executions. Sometimes you don't care to see anything
other than the initial call to the server which would either be a RPC or a
batch depending on how the call was made. An RPC only occurs when you call
the sp as a sp. By that I mean you would use the command type of stored
procedure to properly execute a sp as a RPC. If you said the type was text
it would come across as a Batch:Completed and then it would have a
SP:Completed. This is due to the fact each batch gets a plan and each sp
execution gets it's own plan as well. Note that not all columns show up for
SP:Completed as they do for RPC and Batch such as reads, cpu etc.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"peja" <peja@.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:erFcUZaKGHA.668@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I know that SP refers to stored procedures, and RPC to remote procedure
> calls, but I don't know what that means in real life.
> I can see in my trace files that each stored procedure has related
> RPC:Completed event. So why would anybody include SP:Completed event too?
> Any ideas or advices?
> Thanks
>

No comments:

Post a Comment