Thursday, March 29, 2012

Difference between SQL 2000 st. and SQL 2000 Enterprise

Hi there
I feel a bit silly here. If spent the last 45 mins searching the web trying
to find a definite list of the differences between SQL 2000 Standard and SQL
2000 Enterprise. All the links at microsoft.com seem to redirect to the 2005
version. If anyone can link me to a feature comparison or know the numbers
off the top of their head I would be grateful. The most pressing question is
this:
What if I buy a standard edition and install it on a server with 4Gb RAM,
would I:
Violate my license since standard only supports up to 2 Gb?
or would the SQL server simply just use only 2Gb RAM and work just fine and
no license would be violated?
Thanks in advance
IbIb,
In your SQL Server 2000 Books Online is a topic "Features Supported by the
Editions of SQL Server 2000" that will give general guidance on features.
Installing standard edition on a server with more RAM will not violate a
license. SQL Server will only use as much memory as it can.
RLF
"Ib Schrader" <ibschrader@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:e1LaFcw6HHA.2632@.TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi there
> I feel a bit silly here. If spent the last 45 mins searching the web
> trying to find a definite list of the differences between SQL 2000
> Standard and SQL 2000 Enterprise. All the links at microsoft.com seem to
> redirect to the 2005 version. If anyone can link me to a feature
> comparison or know the numbers off the top of their head I would be
> grateful. The most pressing question is this:
> What if I buy a standard edition and install it on a server with 4Gb RAM,
> would I:
> Violate my license since standard only supports up to 2 Gb?
> or would the SQL server simply just use only 2Gb RAM and work just fine
> and no license would be violated?
> Thanks in advance
> Ib
>|||The information is in Books on Line, the documentation. You could
download and install that from the Microsoft site, or read it on the
web.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa175266(SQL.80).aspx
That should put you int he neighborhood.
Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:09:36 +0200, "Ib Schrader"
<ibschrader@.gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi there
>I feel a bit silly here. If spent the last 45 mins searching the web trying
>to find a definite list of the differences between SQL 2000 Standard and SQL
>2000 Enterprise. All the links at microsoft.com seem to redirect to the 2005
>version. If anyone can link me to a feature comparison or know the numbers
>off the top of their head I would be grateful. The most pressing question is
>this:
>What if I buy a standard edition and install it on a server with 4Gb RAM,
>would I:
>Violate my license since standard only supports up to 2 Gb?
>or would the SQL server simply just use only 2Gb RAM and work just fine and
>no license would be violated?
>Thanks in advance
>Ib
>|||Books online..never knew something like that existed.
Thanks to both of you
"Roy Harvey" <roy_harvey@.snet.net> wrote in message
news:nmidd351bfo31q14ee6hufgq5jf75r2e89@.4ax.com...
> The information is in Books on Line, the documentation. You could
> download and install that from the Microsoft site, or read it on the
> web.
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa175266(SQL.80).aspx
> That should put you int he neighborhood.
> Roy Harvey
> Beacon Falls, CT
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:09:36 +0200, "Ib Schrader"
> <ibschrader@.gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi there
>>I feel a bit silly here. If spent the last 45 mins searching the web
>>trying
>>to find a definite list of the differences between SQL 2000 Standard and
>>SQL
>>2000 Enterprise. All the links at microsoft.com seem to redirect to the
>>2005
>>version. If anyone can link me to a feature comparison or know the numbers
>>off the top of their head I would be grateful. The most pressing question
>>is
>>this:
>>What if I buy a standard edition and install it on a server with 4Gb RAM,
>>would I:
>>Violate my license since standard only supports up to 2 Gb?
>>or would the SQL server simply just use only 2Gb RAM and work just fine
>>and
>>no license would be violated?
>>Thanks in advance
>>Ib

No comments:

Post a Comment